The cause of death of musician, Aaron Carter, has been revealed five months after his sudden demise.
The 34-year-old was found dead on November 5 in a bathtub at his home in Lancaster, California.
According to the autopsy report released on April 18, Carter died from drowning and the effects of difluoroethane and alprazolam.
Difluoroethane is a flammable gas that is often used as the propellant in cans of compressed air, while alprazolam is a medication that can come in tablet form and is sometimes taken to treat depression and fear of open spaces.
The manner of death was ruled accidental, and the report confirmed that Carter was “submerged” in his bathtub after “inhalation of compressed gas and intake of alprazolam.”
The Los Angeles County Medical Examiner’s report also revealed that Carter had no “life-threatening traumatic injuries” at the time of his passing.
It was previously reported that Carter’s housekeeper discovered his body and was “yelling” when she called 911 for help.
His mother, Jane Carter, had urged for a “real investigation” into her son’s death and had refused to believe that he died of an accidental overdose.
Aaron Carter rose to prominence in the late ’90s and had been in the industry for decades. He was also the younger brother of Nick Carter, a member of the Backstreet Boys.
Nick paid tribute to his late brother on Instagram on November 6, sharing a slideshow of throwback photos of them together.
“Even though my brother and I have had a complicated relationship, my love for him has never ever faded,” Nick wrote.
“I have always held on to the hope that he would somehow, someday want to walk a healthy path and eventually find the help that he so desperately needed.”
The news of Aaron Carter’s cause of death has brought closure to his family and fans, who have been mourning his loss for the past five months.
The tragic incident serves as a reminder of the dangers of substance abuse and the importance of seeking help when struggling with addiction.